This coming year we are exploring a new community building strategy. With so many different bloggers and so many different interests, we wanted everyone to feel supported as we grow. So we are implementing “tribes” in order to help bloggers find each other and collaborate based on interests. We will organize as tribes during our welcome reception with tribal activities for you all to get to know each other better.
Each tribe will need tribal leaders. We are taking nominations from you about who you would like your tribal leaders to be. Here are the tribes:
- Backyard Farming (gardening, animals, canning, preserving, etc)
- The Food Movement (educating consumers to make better choices, petitioning companies & changing laws)
- Integrative Health (including food as medicine, natural remedies, allergies & eczema, nutrition, health, etc.)
- Real Foodies (those of you who REALLY love to cook and show off your photography skills)
- Eco-Fashion, Beauty & Art (upcycling, repurposing, fashion, cosmetics, eco-art, etc)
- Protecting the Earth (air & water pollution, climate change, fracking, pipelines, alternative energy, endangered species, protect natural habitats, etc)
- Detoxifying the Home (protecting family from toxins, personal care products, cleaning products, organic food, lightening the toxic load in one’s household)
- Natural Parenting (attachment parenting, breastfeeding, babywearing, natural birth, doulas, anyone with a young child who wants to hang and talk babies, etc)
- Justice for All (fair trade, social justice, building up a democratic agriculture, local food, growing food deserts & nutritional education, etc)
- Green 101 (those who are new to the movement OR “light green”)
Now to the tribal leaders. Tribal leaders will come from nominations within our larger social community. We want you to tell us who you think best represents your tribe and would like to see in a leadership position at ShiftCon. In order to create a truly representative tribe, it’s paramount that we receive your input. Nominations will be done on Facebook and after they are over, we will reach out to the selected tribal leaders and ask them to participate in this role. If they choose to participate, we will announce them shortly thereafter. If a tribal nominee chooses not to participate for any reason, we will just ask another one of the nominees. Each tribe will have between 2-3 tribal leaders. This position is compensated with a free ticket to ShiftCon and special bag of products from sponsors.
Tribal Leader Duties
- Help organize ice breaker activities during the ShiftCon welcome night on Thursday, September 24th for your tribe
- Announce your position in a post on your blog and amplify that message on your additional social platforms
- Join the secret “ShiftCon Shifters” Facebook group
- Reach out to the people in your tribe prior to ShiftCon to engage & excite them about your shared mission and support they will be receiving
- Be available to other tribal members during ShiftCon for mentoring & networking
- Be available for a special meeting of the tribal council Thursday September 24th in the afternoon.
We are NOT basing this decision on whoever gets the most nominations. We will be sifting through their sites, social media platforms, and other nominations and then deciding based on their experience, social media “tone” and leadership abilities. Because these individuals will be representing ShiftCon, we need to make sure they mirror our values and supportive environment.
Timeline of Events
Taking Nominations for Tribal Leaders: January 2nd to January 23rd
Tribal Leaders Announced: February 11th
(It’s possible we may only announce part of the tribes if we are delayed by potential nominations.)
Rules on How to Nominate a ShiftCon Tribal Leader
- You can NOT nominate yourself. Leadership is about how you affect others.
- You can nominate as many people as you would like, but you must be specific about which tribe you want them to represent
- To nominate someone, simply tag them AND ShiftCon in a status update on the ShiftCon Facebook Fan page.
- Here is an example: “I nominate (tag Leah Segedie) of (tag Mamavation) as a Tribal Leader for the “Food Movement” tribe at (tag ShiftCon). I love how she educates consumers with twitter parties and only works with Non-GMO brands. You can read more about the tribal nominations for ShiftCon here, http://bit.ly/1xLwr5O/ “
- Note I can’t nominate myself, but I’m the only one who technically can’t be nominated. So good example. 🙂
- Tell us what tribe they represent.
- Link back to the post. Here is the url: https://shiftconmedia.com/2015/01/05/bloggers-looking-for-shiftcon-tribal-leaders/
- Shortened link: http://bit.ly/1xLwr5O
Thank you all for your input!